Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Restaurant Review - Scott's Restaurant & Bar (and Valentine's Day)

Add caption
(please note the photo is one I found online as I totally forgot to take any photos of the restaurant or food - oops!)

Scott's Restaurant & Bar
3300 Bristol Street, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 (714) 979-2400 scottsrestaurantandbar.com

Tim and I enjoyed a very gourmet and luxurious Valentine's Day dinner at Scott's Restaurant & Bar located in Costa Mesa, CA (it's on Bristol directly across the street from South Coast Plaza mall).  It was absolutely perfect. 

From the moment you arrive, the tone is luxury.  Valet only parking, a gorgeous fountain out front (which we did manage to take a pic in front of and I will add hopefully tonight when I upload to the computer).  When you walk in it's a very modern elegant feel.  The layout reminds me of the Mission Restaurant at the Mission Inn in Riverside, but this is much more modern.  We sat at a cozy 2 top table in the back and were presented with the Valentine's Day special menu in which we were able to select one appetizer, one main dish and one dessert each for $65.00 pp (not including alcohol, tax or tip).  Yes, this is a little pricey, but well worth it.

We ordered a nice bottle of champagne.  Wow.  I had never had such a quality bottle of champagne.  It was the Piper-Heidsieck Brut.  I don't know that I can ever go back to my good friend Korbel now (haha, seriously). 

The service was superb.  I was torn between several of the menu items so I asked for the waitress's thoughts and she was spot on. 

For our appetizers I had the caramelized black pepper scallops, sumonomo salad and Tim had the stuffed king crab leg cocktail, romesco.  We shared a little with each other.  Both were divine.  The crab was so tender it nearly melted in your mouth.

For our main course I had the 6 oz. Australian lobster tail with fresh steamed vegetables (I couldn't have the sun dried tomato cous cous which was originally paired with it but contained gluten).  Tim had the grilled mahi, dungeness crab, olive oil-dill emulsion.  Both were beyond amazing.  I even ate the vegetable which included squash - I hate squash, but this squash was no ordinary squash!

For dessert I was unable to have the options on the menu so the chef whipped up some pomegranate sorbet with fresh berries especially for me and Tim opted for the chocolate terrine, almond brittle, with pistachio gelato.  My pomegranate sorbet was marvelous and the berries were perfectly sweet. 

Following dinner we went and sat at their chic bar and I enjoyed a pear martini (with a slice of fresh pear) and Tim had a rum and coke and a coffee. 

This was truly the best food I have ever eaten. Ever.  Perfectly cooked, perfectly flavored, perfectly paired.  Amazing.  The portions were on the smaller side, but we were both adequately full at the conclusion of the meal and completely satisfied.  I told Tim I want to go back immediately, or as soon as our bank account would allow (haha). 

This particular restaurant was selected by mere chance.  It was not something that was referred by a friend or that I had heard about through the grapevine.  I was on a website called urbanspoon.com (similar to Yelp but for food only) and was searching "gluten friendly restaurants".  I happened upon Scott's and after checking out their website and being impressed with their delicious sounding food and the fact that they attempt to use natural organic ingredients, buy from local farmers and sustainable fisheries, I shot them an email asking if they had a gluten free menu.  I was promptly responded to by email that the chef would be able to accommodate my dietary need with no problem and to just advise them ahead of time as to when we would be coming.  I sent on the link to Tim that I would love to go their sometime and he suggested Valentine's Day. 

Luxury was a requirement for this year's Valentine's Day as last year I agreed to go primitive camping with Tim for the 3-day Valentine's Day weekend at Anza-Borrego.  Primitive camping means there are no camp sites, which also means.... no toilets! Eek! We had a nice time though, but I was promised nothing short of luxury this year.  I definitely got what I was promised.

Tim and I also exchanged gifts.  Tim got a Leatherman Mut EOD.  Don't ask me what it is, it's just something Tim had mentioned he wanted after he went shooting with a friend of ours a month or so ago.  It's some kind of hand tool that has various shooting tools in it.  Here is a link.

I received a gorgeous Coach wristlet.  It's called the Madison Clover Print large wristlet and is style number 44368 if you want to check it out on Coach's website.  It's adorable and I love the colors combining brown, tan and a gorgeous magenta.  It's adorable and I can't wait to use it out on the town. 

Tim and I will hopefully be going back to Scott's again, maybe for our next big occasion.  We highly recommend it to all, but caution you that it is pricey.  Well worth the price. 

I will hopefully be adding our Valentine's Day photo to this post this evening.  Thanks for reading and please leave a comment if you have tried Scott's or if you do in the future with what you thought of it!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Totally jealous of the gift lol. I'm glad you had a great night out.