Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Today, I am thankful for having common sense.  In a field that is heavy in customer service, I have come to realize that not everyone is as lucky as me to have been born with such an asset.

Examples you say? Ironically both examples don't have to do with clients but ex coworkers.

Here we go..... I am paraphrasing as my memory may not be 100% accurate on the exact verbiage used, but I kid you not these things actually happened.

Example 1

[Male Secretary, age 18, is grunting and slamming the stapler on the table.]

Me: Name, is the stapler jammed?

Male Secretary: I don't know, it's not working.  I think we're going to have to throw it away.

[I walk over and open the stapler and see it is out of staples.]

Me: It's out of staples, you just need to refill it.

Male Secretary: You can do that!?

[I stare blankly.]

Example 2

Male paralegal, age 40: Elizabeth, I am going to Subway, do you want me to pick you up anything?

Me: Sure, that would be awesome, thanks! I'll write down what I want and give you some money.

[I write down Italian Salad (not sandwich), with onions, feta, avocado, tomato & all of the same meat as the sandwich.  I then hand said list and money to coworker.]

30 minutes later.

[Male paralegal arrives back at the office with a plate of meat, onions, feta, avocado, and tomato....... no lettuce.]

Me: Is the lettuce in a separate container or something?

Male paralegal: What lettuce?

Me: For the salad.

Male paralegal: You didn't write lettuce.

[Raises eyebrow.]

As you can see..... not everyone is graced with the asset of common sense, so for being one of those more fortunate ones, I am thankful.

5 comments:

Emily said...

That's amazing. I've known a girl that didn't know how to sweep before. We had to literally show her how to hold the broom and make the motion. She was fired the next day. And just recently, this happened:

Customer: What's a sausage biscuit? Is that like a sandwich?

Employee: Yes sir, it's a sausage biscuit.

Customer: What's on that?

Employee: It comes with part of a biscuit, a piece of sausage, and the other part of the biscuit.

Customer: Oh, well that sounds pretty good! I think I'll try one.


At least once a day I am baffled.

Elizabeth said...

Oh goodness! hahaha!!!!

Amy Musser said...

This is great...the stapler one made me laugh in amazement! I usually have common sense, but I hate to say my dear husband sometimes lacks it. It makes for good laughs at least! Nothing near this bad though =)

Laura said...

That stapler story is honestly my favorite, you changed that kids life! :)

Jen said...

hahahaah Oh man, I am so glad I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore. People amaze me. I had someone ask me how to boil water before.